LinkedIn mistakes can implode your profile and annihilate any chance of getting hired or making a positive first impression. Inscribe these commandments on stone tablets and place them on each side of your screen… or risk a social media failure of Biblical proportions.
1. Thou shalt not post graven images of cats, dogs, recipes, bikinis, or biceps.
2. Honor thy connections and do not add them to thy email newsletter without their permission.
3. Thou shalt not bow down to thyself and take the name of ninja, guru, rockstar, wizard, visionary, or internationally recognized anything. If thou art all that, let thy neighbor say it in a Recommendation.
4. Thou shalt not create a profile that does not contain a photo.
5. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s success. Be thyself, and create thy own story and successes.
6. Thou shalt not spam.
7. Thou shalt not steal thy neighbor’s content and claim it as thy own.
8. Thou shalt not send an invitation to connect without changing the default text.
9. Thou shalt not paste selfies, not matter how happening that outfit might be.
10. Thou shalt be nice. Seriously. Be. Nice.
I can do that!